Re: Single transaction in the tablesync worker?

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Single transaction in the tablesync worker?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 3:20 PM Petr Jelinek
<petr.jelinek@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On 11 Feb 2021, at 10:42, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 1:51 PM Petr Jelinek
> > <petr.jelinek@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> >> One thing:

> >> Hmm, why is this WARNING, we mostly call it with missing_ok = true when the slot is not expected to be there, so
itdoes not seem correct to report it as warning?

> > WARNING is for the cases where we don't always expect slots to exist
> > and we don't want to stop the operation due to it. For example, in
> > DropSubscription, for some of the rel states like (SUBREL_STATE_INIT
> > and SUBREL_STATE_DATASYNC), the slot won't exist. Similarly, say if we
> > fail (due to network error) after removing some of the slots, next
> > time, it will again try to drop already dropped slots and fail. For
> > these reasons, we need to use WARNING. Similarly for tablesync workers
> > when we are trying to initially drop the slot there is no certainty
> > that it exists, so we can't throw ERROR and stop the operation there.
> > There are other cases like when the table sync worker has finished
> > syncing the table, there we will raise an ERROR if the slot doesn't
> > exist. Does this make sense?
>
> Well, I was thinking it could be NOTICE or LOG to be honest, WARNING seems unnecessarily scary for those usecases to
me.

I am fine with LOG and will make that change. Do you have any more
comments or want to spend more time on this patch before we call it
good?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Сообщение: Re: Single transaction in the tablesync worker?
Сообщение: Re: Single transaction in the tablesync worker?