Re: logicalrep_message_type throws an error

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: logicalrep_message_type throws an error
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 10:08 AM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 9:01 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 10:27 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Or can we use snprintf() writing "??? (%d)" to a fixed length char[8 +
> > > 11] allocated on the stack instead?
> > >

> > In the above size calculation, shouldn't it be 7 + 11 where 7 is for
> > (3 (???) + 1 for space + 2 for () + 1 for terminating null char) and
> > 11 is for %d? BTW, this avoids dynamic allocation of the err string in
> > logicalrep_message_type() but we can't return a locally allocated
> > string, so do you think we should change the prototype of the function
> > to get this as an argument and then use it both for valid and invalid
> > cases?
>
> There are other places in the code which do something similar by using
> statically allocated buffers like static char xya[SIZE]. We could do
> that here. The caller may decide whether to pstrdup this buffer
> further or just use it one time e.g. as an elog or printf argument.

Okay, changed it accordingly. Currently, we call it only from
errcontext, so it looks reasonable to me to use static here.

> As I said before, we should not even print message type in the error
> context because it's unknown. Repeating that twice is useless. That
> will need some changes to apply_error_callback() though.
> But I am fine with "???" as well.

I think in the end it won't make a big difference. So, I would like to
go with Sawada-San's suggestion to keep the message type consistent in
actual error and error context unless that requires bigger changes.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.