Re: Impact of checkpointer during pg_upgrade

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Impact of checkpointer during pg_upgrade
Дата
Re: Impact of checkpointer during pg_upgrade  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 12:55 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> (Just dumping what I have in mind while reading the thread.)
>
> On Sat, Sep 02, 2023 at 10:08:51AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > During pg_upgrade, we start the server for the old cluster which can
> > allow the checkpointer to remove the WAL files. It has been noticed
> > that we do generate certain types of WAL records (e.g
> > XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS, XLOG_CHECKPOINT_ONLINE, and XLOG_FPI_FOR_HINT)
> > even during pg_upgrade for old cluster, so additional WAL records
> > could let checkpointer decide that certain WAL segments can be removed
> > (e.g. say wal size crosses max_slot_wal_keep_size_mb) and invalidate
> > the slots. Currently, I can't see any problem with this but for future
> > work where we want to migrate logical slots during an upgrade[1], we
> > need to decide what to do for such cases. The initial idea we had was
> > that if the old cluster has some invalid slots, we won't allow an
> > upgrade unless the user removes such slots or uses some option like
> > --exclude-slots. It is quite possible that slots got invalidated
> > during pg_upgrade due to no user activity. Now, even though the
> > possibility of the same is less I think it is worth considering what
> > should be the behavior.
> >
> > The other possibilities apart from not allowing an upgrade in such a
> > case could be (a) Before starting the old cluster, we fetch the slots
> > directly from the disk using some tool like [2] and make the decisions
> > based on that state; (b) During the upgrade, we don't allow WAL to be
> > removed if it can invalidate slots; (c) Copy/Migrate the invalid slots
> > as well but for that, we need to expose an API to invalidate the
> > slots; (d) somehow distinguish the slots that are invalidated during
> > an upgrade and then simply copy such slots because anyway we ensure
> > that all the WAL required by slot is sent before shutdown.
>
> Checking for any invalid slots at the beginning of the upgrade and
> complain sounds like a good thing to do, because these are not
> expected to begin with, no?  That's similar to a pre-check requirement
> that the slots should have fed the subscribers with all the data
> available up to the shutdown checkpoint when the publisher was stopped
> before running pg_upgrade.  So (a) is a good idea to prevent an
> upgrade based on a state we don't expect from the start, as something
> in check.c, I assume.
>
> On top of that, (b) sounds like a good idea to me anyway to be more
> defensive.  But couldn't we do that just like we do for autovacuum and
> force the GUCs that could remove the slot's WAL to not do their work
> instead?

I think if we just make max_slot_wal_keep_size to -1 that should be
sufficient to not let any slots get invalidated during upgrade. Do you
have anything else in mind?

  An upgrade is a special state of the cluster, and I'm not
> much into painting more checks based on IsBinaryUpgrade to prevent WAL
> segments to be removed while we can have a full control of what we
> want with just the GUCs that force the hand of the slots.  That just
> seems simpler to me, and the WAL recycling logic is already complex
> particularly with all the GUCs popping lately to force some conditions
> to do the WAL recycling and/or removal.
>
> During the upgrade, if some segments are removed and some of the slots
> we expect to still be valid once the upgrade is done are marked as
> invalid and become unusable, I think that we should just copy these
> slots, but also update their state data so as they can still be used
> with what we expect, as these could be wanted by the subscribers.
> That's what you mean with (d), I assume. Do you think that it would
> be possible to force the slot's data on the publishers so as they use
> a local LSN based on the new WAL we are resetting at?

Yes.

> At least that
> seems more friendly to me as this limits the set of manipulations to
> do on the slots for the end-user.  The protection from (b) ought to be
> enough, in itself.  (c) overlaps with (a), especially if we want to be
> able to read or write some of the slot's data offline.

If we do (b) either via GUCs or IsBinaryUpgrade check we don't need to
do any of (a), (b), or (d). I feel that would be a minimal and
sufficient fix to prevent any side impact of checkpointer on slots
during an upgrade.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.