Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 9:27 PM Euler Taveira <euler@eulerto.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2024, at 3:05 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
>
> Won't it be a better user experience that after setting up the target
> server as a logical replica (subscriber), it started to work
> seamlessly without user intervention?
>

> If we have an option to control the replication slot removal (default is on),
> it seems a good UI. Even if the user decides to disable the replication slot
> removal, it should print a message saying that these replication slots can
> cause WAL retention.

As pointed out in the previous response, I think we should not proceed
with such a risk of WAL retention and other nodes dependency, we
should either give an ERROR (default) or remove slots, if the user
provides an option. If we do so, do you think by default we can keep
the server started or let the user start it later? I think one
advantage of letting the user start it later is that she gets a chance
to adjust config parameters in postgresql.conf and by default we won't
be using system resources.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.