Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 10:44 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> 4) Is FOR ALL TABLES a good idea?
>
> I'm not sure FOR ALL TABLES is a good idea. Or said differently, I'm
> sure it won't work for a number of use cases. I know large databases
> it's common to create "work tables" (not necessarily temporary) as part
> of a batch job, but there's no need to replicate those tables.
>
> AFAIK that'd break this FOR ALL TABLES publication, because the tables
> will qualify for replication, but won't be present on the subscriber. Or
> did I miss something?

As the subscriber is created from standby, all the tables should be
present at least initially during and after creating the subscriber.
Users are later free to modify the publications/subscriptions.

> I do understand that FOR ALL TABLES is the simplest approach, and for v1
> it may be an acceptable limitation, but maybe it'd be good to also
> support restricting which tables should be replicated (e.g. blacklist or
> whitelist based on table/schema name?).

This would be useful, but OTOH could also be enhanced in a later
version unless we think it is a must for the first version.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.