Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: pgsql: Track last_inactive_time in pg_replication_slots.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 2:11 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2024-Mar-26, Amit Kapila wrote:

> > > Maybe inactivity_timeout?

> > > replication_slot_inactivity_timeout?
> >
> > So, it seems you are okay to have this parameter both at slot level
> > and as a GUC.
>
> Well, I think a GUC is good to have regardless of the slot parameter,
> because the GUC can be used as an instance-wide protection against going
> out of disk space because of broken replication.  However, now that I
> think about it, I'm not really sure about invalidating a slot based on
> time rather on disk space, for which we already have a parameter; what's
> your rationale for that?  The passage of time is not a very good
> measure, really, because the amount of WAL being protected has wildly
> varying production rate across time.

The inactive slot not only blocks WAL from being removed but prevents
the vacuum from proceeding. Also, there is a risk of transaction Id
wraparound. See email [1] for more context.

> I can only see a timeout being useful as a parameter if its default
> value is not the special disable value; say, the default timeout is 3
> days (to be more precise -- the period from Friday to Monday, that is,
> between DBA leaving the office one week until discovering a problem when
> he returns early next week).  This way we have a built-in mechanism that
> invalidates slots regardless of how big the WAL partition is.

We can have a default value for this parameter but it has the
potential to break the replication, so not sure what could be a good
default value.

> I'm less sure about the slot parameter; in what situation do you need to
> extend the life of one individual slot further than the life of all the
> other slots?

I was thinking of an idle slot scenario where a slot from one
particular subscriber (or output plugin) is inactive due to some
maintenance activity. But it should be okay to have a GUC for this for
now.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20240325195443.GA2923888%40nathanxps13

--
With Regards,