Re: pgsql: Allow empty target list in SELECT.

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: pgsql: Allow empty target list in SELECT.
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On 15 December 2013 02:23, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Allow empty target list in SELECT.

This fixes a problem noted as a followup to bug #8648: if a query has a
semantically-empty target list, e.g. SELECT * FROM zero_column_table,
ruleutils.c will dump it as a syntactically-empty target list, which was
not allowed.  There doesn't seem to be any reliable way to fix this by
hacking ruleutils (note in particular that the originally zero-column table
might since have had columns added to it); and even if we had such a fix,
it would do nothing for existing dump files that might contain bad syntax.
The best bet seems to be to relax the syntactic restriction.

Also, add parse-analysis errors for SELECT DISTINCT with no columns (after
*-expansion) and RETURNING with no columns.  These cases previously
produced unexpected behavior because the parsed Query looked like it had
no DISTINCT or RETURNING clause, respectively.  If anyone ever offers
a plausible use-case for this, we could work a bit harder on making the
situation distinguishable.

Arguably this is a bug fix that should be back-patched, but I'm worried
that there may be client apps or PLs that expect "SELECT ;" to throw a
syntax error.  The issue doesn't seem important enough to risk changing
behavior in minor releases.

This commit introduces another bug:

# create table colours (id serial, name text, visible boolean);
CREATE TABLE

# insert into colours (name, visible) values ('blue',true),('yellow',true),('ultraviolet',false),('green',true),('infrared',false);
INSERT 0 5

# select into colours2 from colours;
SELECT 5

# select * from colours2;