Re: [DOC] Introducing Quick Start Guide to PL/pgSQL and PL/Python Documentation

От Ishaan Adarsh
Тема Re: [DOC] Introducing Quick Start Guide to PL/pgSQL and PL/Python Documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Subject: Clarification on the Purpose of the Patch

Hi Peter,

The intention was to address the challenge faced by newcomers in understanding how to write an extension for PostgreSQL. The existing documentation, while comprehensive, lacks a consolidated and easy-to-follow tutorial that serves as a quick start guide. The goal was to create a beginner-friendly resource that assumes only knowledge of Postgres and the target language, making it accessible for new contributors because the barrier for entry is prohibitive for new contributors. There are various third-party blog posts focusing on different areas, and sometimes contradictory.

Specifically:
1. The new section titled "Quick Start Guide" aims to provide step-by-step instructions for users to get started with writing extensions in PL/pgSQL and PL/Python.
2. Explanations, code snippets, and examples were included to illustrate key concepts, making it easier for users to follow along.

I understand your point about the basics of setting up an extension file structure being repeated. The intention was to provide a self-contained guide within each language's documentation, ensuring that users who directly access a specific language's documentation get a complete guide without having to navigate between sections.

If there are areas where the existing documentation is already sufficient or if there are ways to improve the approach, I am open to suggestions. The primary aim is to enhance the accessibility of extension development information for newcomers.

--
Best regards,
Ishaan Adarsh

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 9:18 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:
On 16.12.23 11:49, Ishaan Adarsh wrote:
> 1. Added a new section titled "Quick Start Guide" to both PL/pgSQL and
> PL/Python documentation.
> 2. Included step-by-step instructions for users to get started with
> these procedural languages.
> 3. Provided explanations, code snippets, and examples to illustrate key
> concepts.

The way I read it, that's not really what your patch does.  Your patch
explains how to write an extension in PL/pgSQL and PL/Python,
respectively.  Which is okay, I guess, but a bit unusual.  But I
wouldn't call that an unqualified "quick start" in the respective
languages.  Also, it seems to repeat the very basics of setting up an
extension file structure etc. repeatedly in each chapter.

The existing documentation has "explanations, code snippets, and
examples".  Are they not good?  Do you have more?  Better ones?  Why are
yours separate from the existing ones?

I think it would be useful to take a step back here and define the
purpose of a bit clearer.