Re: BUG #18009: Postgres Recovery not happening

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: BUG #18009: Postgres Recovery not happening
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Sat, Jul 1, 2023 at 2:29 AM PG Bug reporting form
<noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Operating system:   AIX

> I verified in the OS side, we are not observing explicit fsync() call post
> writing to this file "000000010000000000000003". I suspect this because
> the writes are present in the VMM page cache and not getting synced up to
> the disk. Post restart of my node, DB is not coming up.

We don't usually call fsync() for WAL files (except when initially
creating them), we use various methods controlled by the setting
wal_sync_method[1] and on AIX we default to open_datasync (that means
we open the WAL with O_DSYNC and then we expect pwrite() to return
only after the data is durably on disk).  Have you changed that
setting?  When you say "abrupt shutdown", do you mean power loss?
Perhaps you could investigate what O_DSYNC does with respect to write
caches on your system and what your disk controllers etc promise about
power loss.  Can you reproduce this problem with a fresh cluster, and
does it go away if you use wal_sync_method=fdatasync?

It doesn't seem that likely to me that expensive AIX systems would
fail at sensible volatile cache management, so that's a long shot, but
we know that some other systems can fail in that way (eg Windows on
consumer storage), and I'm pretty sure they can fail exactly as you
described because the control file is fsync'd while the WAL is only
written to volatile drive caches.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-wal.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-WAL-SETTINGS