Re: BUG #17928: Standby fails to decode WAL on termination of primary

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: BUG #17928: Standby fails to decode WAL on termination of primary
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Sat, Sep 23, 2023 at 4:44 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> The stack may point out at a different issue, but perhaps this is a
> matter where we're returning now XLREAD_SUCCESS where previously we
> had XLREAD_FAIL, causing this code to fail thinking that the block was
> valid while it's not?

"grison" has a little more detail --  we see
pg_comp_crc32c_sb8(len=4294636456).  I'm wondering how to reproduce
this, but among the questions that jump out I have: why was it ever OK
that we load record->xl_tot_len into total_len, perform header
validation, determine that total_len < len (= this record is all on
one page, no reassembly loop needed, so now we're in the single-page
branch), then call ReadPageInternal() again, then call
ValidXLogRecord() which internally loads record->xl_tot_len *again*?
ReadPageInternal() might have changed xl_tot_len, no?  That seems to
be a possible pathway to reading past the end of the buffer in the CRC
check, no?

If that value didn't change underneath us, I think we'd need an
explanation for how we finished up in the single-page branch at
xlogreader.c:842 with a large xl_tot_len, which I'm not seeing yet,
though it might take more coffee.  (Possibly supporting the re-read
theory is the fact that it's only happening on a few very slow
computers, though I have no idea why it would only happen on master
[so far at least].)