Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows Application Issues | PostgreSQL | REF # 48475607

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Windows Application Issues | PostgreSQL | REF # 48475607
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Sat, May 18, 2024 at 5:47 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
> > With answers to those questions we might be able to ship some nice
> > built-in translations to get users out of this jam.  If there are
> > issues on those points, we might have to face some questions about
> > what the encoding is of the "Turkish_Türkiye.1254" string itself,
> > which is tricky for us for technical reasons, among other problems...
> > not sure.
>
> TBH, my idea of how this should go was to *not* ship any built-in
> translations, or indeed any translation file at all (so I didn't
> like your moving some existing hacks into that file).  If we
> approach it like that, then individual users who hit this problem
> are responsible for creating their own translation file, which
> will automatically use whatever is the locally-appropriate
> encoding.  Sure, it's less transparent for affected users, but
> it will work for them which other approaches might not; and
> evidence so far is that there's not a huge number of affected
> users.

Hmm, yeah I guess we could just ship a patch like what I posted
already, and let users figure out what works.  I would still like to
know the answer to those questions so we can offer good advice.  If
the answers are all yes then I think we can say "the file is in
encoded in ASCII; use wildcards to deal with any legacy non-ASCII
locale names on the left, and use BCP47 names on the right" and begin
expunging the bad old names from our universe.