Re: [HACKERS] Moving relation extension locks out of heavyweight lock manager

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Moving relation extension locks out of heavyweight lock manager
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 11:31, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 12:07 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Unfortunately the environment I used for performance verification is
> > no longer available.
> >
> > I agree to run this test in a different environment. I've attached the
> > rebased version patch. I'm measuring the performance with/without
> > patch, so will share the results.
> >

> Did you get a chance to run these tests?  Lately, Mahendra has done a
> lot of performance testing of this patch and shared his results.  I
> don't see much downside with the patch, rather there is a performance
> increase of 3-9% in various scenarios.

I've done performance tests on my laptop while changing the number of
partitions. 4 clients concurrently insert 32 tuples to randomly
selected partitions in a transaction. Therefore by changing the number
of partition the contention of relation extension lock would also be
changed. All tables are unlogged tables and N_RELEXTLOCK_ENTS is 1024.

Here is my test results:

* HEAD
nchilds = 64 tps = 33135
nchilds = 128 tps = 31249
nchilds = 256 tps = 29356

* Patched
nchilds = 64 tps = 32057
nchilds = 128 tps = 32426
nchilds = 256 tps = 29483

The performance has been slightly improved by the patch in two cases.
I've also attached the shell script I used to test.

When I set N_RELEXTLOCK_ENTS to 1 so that all relation locks conflicts
the result is:

nchilds = 64 tps = 30887
nchilds = 128 tps = 30015
nchilds = 256 tps = 27837