controlling meson's parallelism (and some whining)

От Robert Haas
Тема controlling meson's parallelism (and some whining)
Дата
Re: controlling meson's parallelism (and some whining)  ("Tristan Partin" <tristan@neon.tech>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Twice now, I've had 'meson test' fail because it tried to start too
many copies of the server at the same time. In the server log, I get
the complaint about needing to raise SHMMNI. This is a macos machine,
with kern.sysv.shmmni=32. The obvious fix to this is to just tell
'meson test' how many processes I'd like it to run. I thought maybe I
could just do 'meson -j8 test' but that does not work, because the
option is --num-processes and has no short version. Even typing -j8
every time would be kind of annoying; typing --num-processes 8 every
time is ridiculously verbose.

My next thought was that there ought to be some environmental variable
that I could set to control this behavior. But I can't find a list of
environment variables that affect meson behavior anywhere. I guess the
authors don't believe in environment variable as a control mechanism.
Or, at the risk of sounding a bit testy, maybe their documentation
just isn't quite up to par. It's not that hard to find lists of
options for particular subcommands, either from the tool itself or on
the web site. But unlike git, where you can do something like 'man
git-checkout' and actually get more information than the command help
itself provides, there are no man pages for the main subcommands, and
I can't really find any good documentation on the web site either.
Knowing that a certain subcommand has a flag called
--pkgconfig.relocatable or that some other command has a flag called
--cross-file CROSS_FILE whose argument is, and I quote, a "File
describing cross compilation environment," is not good enough.

So my questions are:

1. Is there some better way to control testing parallelism than
specifying --num-processes N every single time?

2. Is there better documentation somewhere?

Thanks,

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com