Re: Citus Data becomes Microsoft

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Citus Data becomes Microsoft
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 10:48 AM Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On 2019-01-27 01:12, Michael Meskes wrote:
> <snip>
> > Does this one bad behaviour make them an evil organisation per se?
>
> How about, does their continual bad behaviour - which is extremely
> well documented over *decades* - of which this is one action...
> warrant any kind of good will towards them?

I don't think this conversation is really helping us figure anything
out.  I think it's an open question whether Microsoft acquiring Citus
is good or bad for PostgreSQL, and I think that question probably
deserves some sober reflection, as does the related question of
whether Amazon acquiring OpenSCG is good or bad for PostgreSQL, but I
disagree that the particular points that you mention answer that
question.  If Microsoft acquiring Citus is bad for PostgreSQL, it's
probably got to do with whether there are viable independent
PostgreSQL companies out there that can serve as employers for people
who want to get paid to work on PostgreSQL, not whether or not they
added social networking features to Github.  If it's good for
PostgreSQL, it's probably got to do with the value of having really
large companies interested in this database that used to be basically
the domain of hobbyists but is now big business.  Or maybe it's a
little of both?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: Citus Data becomes Microsoft
Сообщение: Re: Citus Data becomes Microsoft