Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 1:46 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> The concern about this patch is not its contents but because it is our
> first attempt at putting limits on the superuser for an external tool.
> If done improperly, this could open a flood of problems, including CVE
> and user confusion, which would reflect badly on the project.
>
> I think the email discussion has expressed those concerns clearly, and
> it is only recently that we have gotten to a stage where we are ready to
> add this, and doing this near the closing of the last commitfest can be
> a valid concern.  I do agree with your analysis of other patches in the
> commitfest, but I just don't see them stretching our boundaries like
> this patch.

I do understand the concern, and I'm not saying that you're wrong to
have it at some level, but I do sincerely think it's excessive. I
don't think this is even close to being the scariest patch in this
release, or even in this CommitFest. I also agree that doing things
near the end of the last CommitFest isn't great, because even if your
patch is fantastic, people start to think maybe you're only committing
it to beat the deadline, and then the conversation can get unpleasant.
However, I don't think that's really what is happening here. If this
patch gets bounced out of this release, it won't be in any better
shape a year from now than it is right now. It can't be, because the
code is completely trivial; and the documentation has already been
extensively wordsmithed. Surely we don't need another whole release
cycle to polish three paragraphs of documentation. I think it has to
be right to get this done while we're all thinking about it and the
issue is fresh in everybody's mind.

How would you like to proceed from here? I think that in addressing
all of the comments given in the last few days, the documentation has
gotten modestly worse. I think it was crisp and clear before, and now
it feels a little ... over-edited. But if you're happy with the latest
version, we can go with that. Or, do you need more time to review?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com