Re: Reviewing freeze map code

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> My gut feeling on this is to either do nothing or add a VACUUM option
>> (not a GUC, not a reloption) called even_frozen_pages, default false.
>> What is your opinion?
>
> +1 for that approach -- I thought that was already agreed weeks ago and
> the only question was what to name that option.  even_frozen_pages
> sounds better than SCANALL, SCAN_ALL, FREEZE, FORCE (the other
> options I saw proposed in that subthread), so +1 for that naming
> too.
>
> I don't like doing nothing; that means that when we discover a bug we'll
> have to tell users to rm a file whose name requires a complicated
> catalog query to find out, so -1 for that.

So... I agree that it is definitely not good if we have to tell users
to rm a file, but I am not quite sure how this new option would
prevent us from having to say that?  Here are some potential kinds of
bugs we might have:

1. Sometimes, the all-frozen bit doesn't get set when it should.
2. Sometimes, the all-frozen bit gets sit when it shouldn't.
3. Some combination of (1) and (2), so that the VM fork can't be
trusted in either direction.

If (1) happens, removing the VM fork is not a good idea; what people
will want to do is re-run a VACUUM FREEZE.

If (2) or (3) happens, removing the VM fork might be a good idea, but
it's not really clear that VACUUM (even_frozen_pages) will help much.
For one thing, if there are actually unfrozen tuples on those pages
and the clog pages which they reference are already gone or recycled,
rerunning VACUUM on the table in any form might permanently lose data,
or maybe it will just fail.

If because of the nature of the bug you somehow know that case doesn't
pertain, then I suppose the bug is that the tuple-level and page-level
state is out of sync.  VACUUM (even_frozen_pages) probably won't help
with that much either, because VACUUM never clears the all-frozen bit
without also clearing the all-visible bit, and that only if the page
contains dead tuples, which in this case it probably doesn't.

I'm intuitively sympathetic to the idea that we should have an option
for this, but I can't figure out in what case we'd actually tell
anyone to use it.  It would be useful for the kinds of bugs listed
above to have VACUUM (rebuild_vm) to blow away the VM fork and rebuild
it, but that's different semantics than what we proposed for VACUUM
(even_frozen_pages).  And I'd be sort of inclined to handle that case
by providing some other way to remove VM forks (like a new function in
the pg_visibilitymap contrib module, maybe?) and then just tell people
to run regular VACUUM afterwards, rather than putting the actual VM
fork removal into VACUUM.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company