Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 7:26 AM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Regarding pg_visibility module, I'd like to share some bugs and
>> propose to add a relation type condition to each functions.
>
> OK, thanks.

I left out the relkind check from the final commit because, for one
thing, the check you added isn't actually right: toast relations can
also have a visibility map.  And also, I'm sort of wondering what the
point of that check is.  What does it protect us from?  It doesn't
seem very future-proof ... what if we add a new relkind in the future?Do we really want to have to update this?

How about instead changing things so that we specifically reject
indexes?  And maybe some kind of a check that will reject anything
that lacks a relfilnode?  That seems like it would be more on point.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company