Re: pg_ctl start may return 0 even if the postmaster has been already started on Windows

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pg_ctl start may return 0 even if the postmaster has been already started on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 4:28 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the attached, fixed the existing two messages, and adjusted one
> message to display an error code, all in the consistent format.

Hi,

I'm not a Windows expert, but my guess is that 0001 is a very good
idea. I hope someone who is a Windows expert will comment on that.

0002 seems problematic to me. One potential issue is that it would
break if someone renamed postgres.exe to something else -- although
that's probably not really a serious problem. A bigger issue is that
it seems like it would break if someone used pg_ctl to start several
instances in different data directories on the same machine. If I'm
understanding correctly, that currently mostly works, and this would
break it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com