Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`
Дата
Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`  (Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@toroid.org>)
Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 5:04 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > > Isn't "configuration" too generic a term for disabling ALTER SYSTEM?
> >
> > maybe "externally_managed_auto_config"
>
> How many people associate "auto" with ALTER SYSTEM?  I assume not many.
>
> To me, externally_managed_configuration is promising a lot more than it
> delivers because there is still a lot of ocnfiguration it doesn't
> control.  I am also confused why the purpose of the feature, external
> management of configuation, is part of the variable name.  We usually
> name parameters for what they control.

I actually agree with this. I wasn't going to quibble with it because
other people seemed to like it. But I think something like
allow_alter_system would be better, as it would describe the exact
thing that the parameter does, rather than how we think the parameter
ought to be used.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com