Re: Remove psql's -W option

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Remove psql's -W option
Дата
Re: Remove psql's -W option  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 9:35 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:
> Otherwise ISTM that "-W/--password" still has some minimal value thus does
> not deserve to be thrown out that quickly.

I think I agree.  I don't think this option is really hurting
anything, so I'm not quite sure why we would want to abruptly get rid
of it.

I also think your other question is a good one.  It seems like the
fact that we need to reconnect -- rather than just prompting for the
password and then sending it when we get it -- is an artifact of how
libpq is designed rather than an intrinsic limitation of the protocol.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company