Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> wrote:
> There is also stackexchange question with 51000 views that asks how to
> start the postgresql client. Should we rename psql to mysql to help
> new users too?

That's not a serious question, and I don't know what your point is in
suggesting it, unless it's that you want to just troll everyone, which
I don't find especially constructive.

> Ctrl-D works almost everywhere. It takes 2 seconds to find the answer
> and there are going to be many other things you have to find out if
> you're coming at PostgreSQL from a different DB.

If it really took everyone 2 seconds, this question would not be as
common as it is.  So, it probably takes some people quite a bit
longer.

> As others have pointed out, there are _far_ more frustrating things
> (like the lack of SHOW CREATE [TABLE|etc]... support in the backend)
> for anyone coming from mysql that I would suggest should be addressed
> if you were serious about making life easier for those moving DBs.

That is neither a reason to make a change along the lines discussed
here nor a reason not to do so.  You can start separate threads about
those other topics if you wish.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company