Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 12:19 PM Maciek Sakrejda <m.sakrejda@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 on Version and Platform Compatibility. Maybe it just needs a new
> subsection there? This is for compatibility with a "deployment
> platform". The "Platform and Client Compatibility" subsection has just
> one entry, so a new subsection with also just one entry seems
> defensible, maybe just "Deployment Compatibility"? I think it's also
> plausible that there will be other similar settings for managed
> deployments in the future.

Right, we're adding this because of environments like Kubernetes,
which isn't a version, but it is a platform, or at least a deployment
mode, which is why I thought of that section. I think for now we
should just file this under "Other platforms and clients," which only
has one existing setting. If the number of settings of this type
grows, we can split it out.

> Do we really want to break that pattern?

Using enable_* as code for "this is a planner GUC" is a pretty stupid
pattern, honestly, but I agree with you that it's long-established and
we probably shouldn't deviate from it lightly. Perhaps just rename to
allow_alter_system?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com