Re: Using defines for protocol characters

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Using defines for protocol characters
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 7, 2023 at 1:19 PM Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any other changes required ?

IMHO, the correspondence between the names in the patch and the
traditional names in the documentation could be stronger. For example,
the documentation mentions EmptyQueryResponse and
NegotiateProtocolVersion, but in this patch those become
PQMSG_RESP_NEGOTIATE_PROTOCOL and PQMSG_RESP_EMPTY_QUERY. I think we
could consider directly using the names from the documentation, right
down to capitalization, perhaps with a prefix, but I'm also totally
fine with this use of uppercase letters and underscores. But why not
do a strict translation, like EmptyQueryResponse ->
PQMSG_EMPTY_QUERY_RESPONSE, NegotiateProtocolVersion ->
PQMSG_NEGOTIATE_PROTOCOL_VERSION? To me at least, the current patch is
inventing new and slightly different names for things that already
have names...

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com