Re: Built-in CTYPE provider

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Built-in CTYPE provider
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 18, 2023 at 2:46 PM Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> The whole concept of "providers" is that they aren't consistent with
> each other. ICU, libc, and the builtin provider will all be based on
> different versions of Unicode. That's by design.
>
> The built-in provider will be a bit better in the sense that it's
> consistent with the normalization functions, and the other providers
> aren't.

FWIW, the idea that we're going to develop a built-in provider seems
to be solid, for the reasons Jeff mentions: it can be stable, and
under our control. But it seems like we might need built-in providers
for everything rather than just CTYPE to get those advantages, and I
fear we'll get sucked into needing a lot of tailoring rather than just
being able to get by with one "vanilla" implementation.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com