Re: Replace current implementations in crypt() and gen_salt() to OpenSSL

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Replace current implementations in crypt() and gen_salt() to OpenSSL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 5:09 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> A fifth option is to throw away our in-tree implementations and use the OpenSSL
> API's for everything, which is where this thread started.  If the effort to
> payoff ratio is palatable to anyone then patches are for sure welcome.

That generally seems fine, although I'm fuzzy on what our policy
actually is. We have fallback implementations for some things and not
others, IIRC.

> > Does Linux provide some way of asking whether "fips=1" was specified
> > at kernel boot time?
>
> There is a crypto.fips_enabled sysctl but I have no idea how portable that is
> across distributions etc.

My guess would be that it's pretty portable, but my guesses about
Linux might not be very good. Still, if we wanted to go this route, it
probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out how portable this is.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com