Re: Remove mention in docs that foreign keys on partitioned tablesare not supported

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Remove mention in docs that foreign keys on partitioned tablesare not supported
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 12:41 AM Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> rhaas=# drop table foo;
> ERROR:  table "foo" does not exist
> HINT: Try dropping a table with a different name that does exist, or
> first create this table before trying to drop it.

Again a wrong example and wrong comparison. I think I was clear about
the problem when I wrote

I don't think this is a question of "right" vs. "wrong".  You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I believe that I am entitled to mine, too.

--
When there was only a single way, i.e table
inheritance, to "inherit" things users could probably guess that. But

For some reason you have chosen to remove this from the email and
commented on previous part of it.

Well, as far as I know, it's up to me which parts of your emails I want to quote in my reply. I did read this part. It did not change my opinion.  My fundamental objection to your proposal is that I think it is too wordy. I think users will generally know whether they are using partitioning or inheritance, and if they don't it's not hard to figure out.   I don't think quoting only part of what you wrote made the quote misleading, but it did allow me to express my opinion. I understand that you don't agree, which is fine, but I stand by my position.

...Robert
--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company