Re: Weird failure with latches in curculio on v15

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Weird failure with latches in curculio on v15
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 5, 2023 at 7:46 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
> Got it.  I suspect we'll want to do something similar for archive modules
> eventually, too.

+1.

I felt like the archive modules work was a step forward when we did,
because basic_archive does some things that you're not likely to get
right if you do it on your own. And a similar approach to
restore_command might be also be valuable, at least in my opinion.
However, the gains that we can get out of the archive module facility
in its present form do seem to be somewhat limited, for exactly the
kinds of reasons being discussed here.

I kind of wonder whether we ought to try to flip the model around. At
present, the idea is that the archiver is doing its thing and it makes
callbacks into the archive module. But what if we got rid of the
archiver main loop altogether and put the main loop inside of the
archive module, and have it call back to some functions that we
provide? One function could be like char
*pgarch_next_file_to_be_archived_if_there_is_one_ready(void) and the
other could be like void
pgarch_some_file_that_you_gave_me_previously_is_now_fully_archived(char
*which_one). That way, we'd break the tight coupling where you have to
get a unit of work and perform it in full before you can get the next
unit of work. Some variant of this could work on the restore side,
too, I think, although we have less certainty about how much it makes
to prefetch for restore than we do about what needs to be archived.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: OpenSSL 3.0.0 vs old branches
Сообщение: Re: OpenSSL 3.0.0 vs old branches