Re: pgsql: Rename contrib module basic_archive to basic_wal_module

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pgsql: Rename contrib module basic_archive to basic_wal_module
Дата
Re: pgsql: Rename contrib module basic_archive to basic_wal_module  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 1:17 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 12:49:45PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 12:37 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> >> Rename contrib module basic_archive to basic_wal_module
> >
> > FWIW, I find this new name much less clear than the old one.
> >
> > If we want to provide a basic_archive module and a basic_recovery
> > module, that seems fine. Why merge them?
>
> I'll admit I've been stewing on whether "WAL Modules" is the right name.
> My first instinct was to simply call it "Archive and Recovery Modules,"
> which is longer but (IMHO) clearer.
>
> I wanted to merge basic_archive and basic_recovery because there's a decent
> chunk of duplicated code.  Perhaps that is okay, but I would rather just
> have one test module.  AFAICT the biggest reason to split it is because we
> can't determine a good name.  Maybe we could leave the name as
> "basic_archive" since it deals with creating and recovering archive files.

Yeah, maybe. I'm not sure what the best thing to do is, but if I see a
module called basic_archive or basic_restore, I know what it's about,
whereas basic_wal_module seems a lot less specific. It sounds like it
could be generating or streaming it just as easily as it could be
archiving it. It would be nice to have a name that is less prone to
that kind of unclarity.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com