Re: RLS feature has been committed

От Dave Page
Тема Re: RLS feature has been committed
Дата
Re: RLS feature has been committed  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2014-09-23 13:23:32 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> Just to be clear here, the *only* issue we should even be discussing
>> is whether the patch should or should not have been committed in the
>> face of those objections. As Josh has also noted, the commitfest
>> process was never meant to constrain what committers do or when they
>> do it with their own patches or ones they've worked heavily on. They
>> are there as a backstop to make sure that regardless of what the
>> committers are doing day to day, patch authors know that their patch
>> is expected to receive some review within N weeks.
>
> FWIW, while not really at the core of the problem here, I don't think
> this is entirely true anymore.

I'm not aware that we've made any such changes since the process was
originally developed. The fact that developers may constrain their own
review/commit work to certain periods is a personal choice, not policy
or requirement.

> We certainly seem to to expect bigger feature patches to go through the
> commitfest process to some degree. Just look at the discussions about
> *committers* patches being committed or not at each cycles last
> commitfest. Every single time the point in time they've been submitted
> to which CF plays a rather prominent role in the discussion.

They should be tracked on the app certainly, but that doesn't prevent
review/commits being made outside of the commitfest.

> Also look at committers like Robert that *do* feel constrained about
> when to commit or even expect review for submitted patches.

Regardless of what Robert may feel, review should only generally be
*expected* during a commitfest, but it can be done at any time.
Committers are free to commit at any time. The process was never
intended to restrict what committers do or when - in fact when I
introduced the process to -hackers, it was specifically worded to say
that developers are strongly encouraged to take part in the commitfest
reviews, but not forced to, and may continue to work on their patches
as they see fit.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com