Re: Splitting libpq build

От Igor Korot
Тема Re: Splitting libpq build
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi, Adrian,

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 3:28 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

> On 10/3/21 1:20 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
> > Hi Tom,

> > But building the whole tree is just that - useless.
> > All I need is the libpq to connect to the remote server.
> >
> > So I don't need the server to be built - I need a client.
>
> That is available from many of the packaging systems.
>

> >> Having said that, it does work on non-Windows machines to do
> >>          ./configure ...
> >>          cd src/interfaces/libpq
> >>          make -s install
> >
> > Well, asking people to download the whole source tree just to build
> > client library 1000 times and then 1000 times delete the source code...
>
> If you are deploying to the same client you only need to build once.
>
> If not then you need to be more specific about what you are doing?

Imagine you are a developer/maintainer of sme software. This software needs to
connect to different DBMSes perform soe operations and then disconnect.

It is very easy to say that I have SQLite as a submodule in my Git tree,
I have mysql-connector as a submodule, but I can't have libpq this way
because it is hidden deep down inside PostgreSQL sources.

So in order too package the software and let the users build it on
their machine,
I need to explicitly document that the user need to get the PostgreSQL sources,
build it, copy the headers and libraries as appropriate and then build
the software
I provide.

Do you know of a better way of handling this?

O, and of course I need this on all 3 major platforms - Windows, nix and OSX.

Thank you.