is there a relationship between indexes and temporary file creation?

От Seref Arikan
Тема is there a relationship between indexes and temporary file creation?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greetings,
I have a table with 10s of millions of rows and I'm running a fairly complex query with a lot of self joins.

This is an experimental db and the table structure needs to stay as it is. I've noticed that some queries are not completed because postgres uses all available space on disk for temporary data when doing complex joins.

The table has no indexes at the moment; I'm measuring performance with and without indexes so I don't mind long query times. Running out of disk space is a problem though.I can't think of a connection between indexes and the temporary space needed for joins but I hope I can get some input from those with (a lot) more knowledge about potgres internals.

Is there any possibility of indexing decreasing the required temporary disk space when performing complex joins?

Best regards
Seref