Re: Why index occupy less amount of space than the table with same structure.

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: Why index occupy less amount of space than the table with same structure.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 28 Mar 2010, at 10:05, Tadipathri Raghu wrote:

> Hi All,

> I like to know here is, I have created a table with one column and the index is on one column only, so why is the
spaceoccupied differently, almost all half of the space of the table and why not full. Could please you explain on
this.And what exactly the postgres architecture treat on Index table and Ordinary table.

For one thing: The table holds information regarding to which transactions each row is visible (the xid) whereas the
indexdoes not.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4baf3c0010411382482531!

От: dipti shah
Сообщение: Designing Postgres Security Model
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: simultaneously reducing both memory usage and runtime for a query