Re: upgrade and migrate

От Julie Nishimura
Тема Re: upgrade and migrate
Дата
Список pgsql-general
These are great points. Thanks! I will push for some testing environment

From: Justin <zzzzz.graf@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, December 6, 2019 10:06 AM
To: Julie Nishimura <juliezain@hotmail.com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>; Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>; Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>; Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>; pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org <pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org>; pgsql-general <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: upgrade and migrate

Off topic but food for thought given the jump in versions 8.3 to (9.6 or greater.)

List of major changes i can think of to watch out for that can bite without warning..

SQL operators~=~   for Like were drop in 8.4 => for hstore was drop in 9.0
in 9.1 standard_conforming_string is  ON by default   previous the default was Off..
9.4 affected  arrays.
9.5 operator precedence was changed  this affects output and near impossible to find all the code it can affect..
10 removed contrib/tsearch2 (added to the core in 8.3)

There are allot more minor changes that can bit....

Has a test machine been setup and run yet??  just dumping the schema and restore to later version will point out several issues with custom data-types,  plpgsql, other PL languages and any missing extensions...