RE: Popcount optimization using AVX512

От Amonson, Paul D
Тема RE: Popcount optimization using AVX512
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi All,

> However, it would be much better if the improved code were available for
> all relevant builds and activated if a CPUID test determines that the
> relevant instructions are available, instead of requiring a compile-time
> flag -- which most builds are not going to use, thus wasting the
> opportunity for running the optimized code.

This makes sense. I addressed the feedback, and am attaching an updated patch. Patch also addresses your feedback of
autconfconfigurations by adding CFLAG support. I tested the runtime check for AVX512 on multiple processors with and
withoutAVX512 and it detected or failed to detect the feature as expected.

> Looking at the existing code, I would also consider renaming
> the "_fast" variants to something like pg_popcount32_asml/
> pg_popcount64_asmq so that you can name the new one pg_popcount64_asmdq
> or such.

I left out the renaming, as it made sense to keep the fast/slow naming for readability.

> Finally, the matter of using ifunc as proposed by Noah seems to be still
> in the air, with no patches offered for the popcount family. Given that
> Nathan reports [1] a performance decrease, maybe we should set that
> thought aside for now and continue to use function pointers.

Since there are improvements without it (results below), I agree with you to continue using function pointers.

I collected data on machines with, and without AVX512 support, using a table with 1M rows and performing SQL
bit_count()on a char column containing (84bytes, 4KiB, 8KiB, 16KiB).

    * On non-AVX 512 hardware: no regression or impact at runtime with code built with AVX 512 support in the binary
betweenthe patched and unpatched servers.

    * On AVX512 hardware: the max improvement I saw was 17% but was averaged closer to 6.5% on a bare-metal machine.
Thebenefit is lower on smaller cloud VMs on AWS (1 - 3%)

If the patch looks good, please suggest next steps on committing it.

Paul