RE: Popcount optimization using AVX512

От Amonson, Paul D
Тема RE: Popcount optimization using AVX512
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Originally, I intentionally did not put these in the header file as I want them to be private, but they are not defined
inthis .c file hence extern. Now I realize the "extern" part is not needed to accomplish my goal. Will fix by removing
the"extern" keyword.

> +  'pg_popcnt_choose.c',
> +  'pg_popcnt_x86_64_accel.c',
>
> I think we want these to be architecture-specific, i.e., only built for
> x86_64 if the compiler knows how to use the relevant instructions.  There is a
> good chance that we'll want to add similar support for other systems.
> The CRC32C files are probably a good reference point for how to do this.

I will look at this for the 'pg_popcnt_x86_64_accel.c' file but the 'pg_popcnt_choose.c' file is intended to be for any
platformthat may need accelerators including a possible future ARM accelerator.

> +#ifdef TRY_POPCNT_FAST
>
> IIUC this macro can be set if either 1) the popcntq test in the autoconf/meson
> scripts passes or 2) we're building with MSVC on x86_64.  I wonder if it would
> be better to move the MSVC/x86_64 check to the autoconf/meson scripts so
> that we could avoid surrounding large portions of the popcount code with this
> macro.  This might even be a necessary step towards building these files in an
> architecture-specific fashion.

I see the point here; however, this will take some time to get right especially since I don't have a Windows box to do
compileson. Should I attempt to do this in this patch?

Thanks,
Paul

Сообщение: Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions
Сообщение: Re: Reports on obsolete Postgres versions