Re: Linux: more cores = less concurrency.

От David Rees
Тема Re: Linux: more cores = less concurrency.
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> The new server uses 4 x 8 core Xeon X7550 CPUs at 2Ghz, our current servers are 2 x 4 core Xeon E5320 CPUs at 2Ghz.
>
> What I'm seeing is when the number of clients is greater than the number of cores, the new servers perform better on
fewercores.

The X7550 have "Turbo Boost" which means they will overclock to 2.4
GHz from 2.0 GHz when not all cores are in use per-die.  I don't know
if it's possible to monitor this, but I think you can disable "Turbo
Boost" in bios for further testing.

The E5320 CPUs in your old servers doesn't appear "Turbo Boost".

-Dave