Re: BUG #6048: TRUNCATE vs TRUNCATE CASCADE: misleading message

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: BUG #6048: TRUNCATE vs TRUNCATE CASCADE: misleading message
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Artiom Makarov
<artiom.makarov@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/6/2 Alexey Klyukin <alexk@commandprompt.com>:
>
>> What would you expect to happen for TRUNCATE .. CASCADE?
>>
>> One thing I find potentially surprising is that TRUNCATE CASCADE doesn't=
 follow the semantics of 'ON DELETE' clause for the foreign key, i.e. it wo=
uld truncate the dependent table even with ON DELETE RESTRICT foreign key. =
Do we need a similar 'ON TRUNCATE' =A0FK clause?

> Yes, cascade truncating taked place without ON DELETE RESTRICT
> checking. No matter.
> Either TRUNCATE must show message with full objects tree - correct
> behavior like DROP, or TRUNCATE CASCADE should not delete anything
> (strict constraint checking).

It's a fairly unusual case to have two inheritance children one of
which has a foreign key referencing the other, and to then try to
truncate the parent table, so I'm somewhat disinclined to put in the
time to fix this.

However, patches are welcome...

--=20
Robert Haas