Re: insert retrieved data into a new table

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: insert retrieved data into a new table
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
e-letter wrote on 24.04.2011 22:52:

Readers,

Is it possible to use the result of a SELECT function to populate a
new table? The objective is to write the new table for use by gnuplot.

The SELECT function features a mathematical operator such as SUM which
obtains a value. Is it possible to use the value from this function to
be entered into the new table. Please advise the relevant parts of the
documentation to read.

CREATE TABLE new_table
AS
SELECT col1, col2, col3
FROM some_table
WHERE ...

This is the syntax I always use, but I have just realized that it not documented in the manual...

It sure is:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-createtableas.html

It should be merged into the CREATE TABLE doc, IMHO.

Or using SELECT INTO:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-selectinto.html

SELECTcol1, col2, col3
 INTO new_table