"File, not socket" error with latest Cygwin and postgresql on Win 98

От Dave Brunberg
Тема "File, not socket" error with latest Cygwin and postgresql on Win 98
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Hi!

I am having a problem that I have found referenced in several places, but no
one seems to have a solution.  I have seen documented cases on Win2k but not
on 98, which I have.  I'm hoping that someone here will have found a
solution.

This problem is identical to the one Kian Parsee reported in April
(http://archives2.us.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2001-04/msg00041.php), but
on win98.

For the sake of simplicity and to isolate the problem to a known system,
I've reinstalled cygwin on my system, so I have the latest version as of
10/09/2001.  I also have the latest versions of postgresql and cygipc as of
10/09/2001.

I have used initdb and postmaster starts up properly.  I can start it either
with the '-i localhost' option or not.
My startup command line is:  pg_ctl -D /usr/share/postgresql/data start -l
logme

The problem occurs when I attempt to run any client operations such as
createdb, createuser, or "psql template1" or "psql -h localhost template1"

the log output of the entire postmaster session is:

DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2001-10-10 10:27:16
DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 1563824)
DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 1563824); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 627; NextOid: 18720
DEBUG:  database system is in production state
pq_flush: send() failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket

The last two lines are the result of running "createdb dbname".  I get the
same two errors when I run createuser, or psql as noted above.

I'm running MS Windows 98 second edition version 4.10.2222 A

Are there any other documented cases of this?  I've read
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-10/msg01379.html but it doesn't help
me, since I'm not writing postgresql, I'm just using it...
I've also noticed that there are no other cases of this noted with windows
98; only win 2000.

Thanks for any help,

dwb

David W. Brunberg