Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 4:23 AM, Philippe Rimbault <primbault@edd.fr> wrote:
>> So how are the disks setup anyway?
>>

> Thanks for your reply !
>
> The server use a HP Smart Array P410 with a Raid 5 array on Sata 133 disk.

If you can change that to RAID-10 do so now.  RAID-5 is notoriously
slow for database use, unless you're only gonna do reporting type
queries with few updates.

> My desktop only use one Sata 133 disk.
> I was thinking that my simples queries didn't use disk but only memory.

No, butt pgbench has to write to the disk.

> I've launch a new pgbench with much more client and transactions :
>
> Server :
>    postgres$ pgbench -c 400 -t 100

-c 400 is HUGE.  (and as you mentioned in your later email, you need
to -s -i 400 for -c 400 to make sense)  Try values in the 4 to 40
range and the server should REALLY outshine your desktop as you pass
12 or 16 or so.