Re: Bloat issue on 8.3; autovac ignores HOT new pages?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Bloat issue on 8.3; autovac ignores HOT new pages?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Robert, Mark,
>
> I have not been able to reproduce this issue in a clean test on 9.0.  As
> a result, I now think that it was related to the FSM being too small on
> the user's 8.3 instance, and will consider it resolved.

I used to try and size free space map to be a little bigger than it
needed to be.  I now size 4 or 5 times what it needs to be.  shared
memory is cheap.  So is going to 8.4, but on legacy systems that you
can't upgrade, 8.3 with a huge FSM works well enough (with suitably
aggressive autovac).