Re: Two different methods of sneaking non-immutable data into an index

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Two different methods of sneaking non-immutable data into an index
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> *) also, isn't it possible to change text cast influencing GUCs 'n'
> times per statement considering any query can call a function and any
> function can say, change datestyle?  Shouldn't the related functions
> be marked 'volatile', not stable?

This is just evil.  It seems to me that we might want to instead
prevent functions from changing things for their callers, or
postponing any such changes until the end of the statement, or, uh,
something.  We can't afford to put ourselves in a situation of having
to make everything volatile; at least, not if "performance" is
anywhere in our top 50 goals.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company