Re: Bloat issue on 8.3; autovac ignores HOT page splits?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Bloat issue on 8.3; autovac ignores HOT page splits?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> It looks to me like autovacuum doesn't ever consider when HOT updates
> lead to page splits, and so require vacuuming.  Or am I diagnosing it wrong?

I'm not sure what you mean by a page split.  An update wherein the new
heap tuple won't fit on the same page as the existing heap tuple
should be treated as non-HOT.  But nothing gets split in that case.  I
think of a page split as an index event, and if these are HOT updates
there shouldn't be any index changes at all.

Can we see those stats again with n_tup_ins/upd/del?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company