Re: Rules not executed on child tables

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Rules not executed on child tables
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 5:36 AM,  <depstein@alliedtesting.com> wrote:
> I noticed that when an action is executed on a parent table, rules for that
> action that are defined on its child tables are ignored.

I think this is actually design behavior.  It's really hard to use
rules for anything useful (other than views); you might want to look
at triggers instead.  Rules are basically a crude query-rewrite
system.  The rule rewriting process doesn't understand anything about
what your query is actually trying to do; it's just analyzing the
syntax (where, of course, the child tables aren't mentioned).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company