Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction

От Daniel Verite
Тема Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
    Jeff Davis wrote:

>  I implemented a compromise where initdb will
>  change C.UTF-8 to the built-in provider

This handling of C.UTF-8 would be felt by users as simply broken.

With the v10 patches:

$ initdb --locale=C.UTF-8

initdb: using locale provider "builtin" for ICU locale "C.UTF-8"
The database cluster will be initialized with this locale configuration:
  default collation provider:  builtin
  default collation locale:    C
  LC_COLLATE:  C.UTF-8
  LC_CTYPE:    C.UTF-8

This setup is not what the user has asked for and leads to that kind of
wrong results:

$ psql -c "select upper('é')"
 ?column?
----------

whereas in v15 we would get the correct result 'É'.

Then once inside that cluster, trying to create a database:

  postgres=# create database test locale='C.UTF-8';
  ERROR:  locale provider "builtin" does not support locale "C.UTF-8"
  HINT:  The built-in locale provider only supports the "C" and "POSIX"
locales.

That hardly makes sense considering that initdb stated the opposite,
that the "built-in provider" was adequate for C.UTF-8

In general about the evolution of the patchset, your interpretation
of "defaulting to ICU" seems to be "avoid libc at any cost", which IMV
is unreasonably user-hostile.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité