Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum

От Drouvot, Bertrand
Тема Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 1/3/23 5:46 PM, Imseih (AWS), Sami wrote:
>> cirrus-ci.com/task/4557389261701120
>
> I earlier compiled without building with --enable-cassert,
> which is why the compilation errors did not produce on my
> buid.
>
> Fixed in v19.
>
> Thanks

Thanks for the updated patch!

Some comments about it:

+
+     <row>
+      <entry role="catalog_table_entry"><para role="column_definition">
+       <structfield>indexes_total</structfield> <type>bigint</type>
+      </para>
+      <para>
+       Number of indexes that wil be vacuumed. This value will be

Typo: wil

+       /* report number of indexes to vacuum, if we are told to cleanup indexes */
+       if (vacrel->do_index_cleanup)
+               pgstat_progress_update_param(PROGRESS_VACUUM_INDEX_TOTAL, vacrel->nindexes);

"Report" instead? (to looks like the surrounding code)

+                       /*
+                        * Done vacuuming an index. Increment the indexes completed
+                        */
+                       pgstat_progress_update_param(PROGRESS_VACUUM_INDEX_COMPLETED,
+                                                                                idx + 1);

"Increment the indexes completed." (dot at the end) instead?

-        * Increase and report the number of index scans.
+        * Reset and report the number of indexes scanned.
+        * Also, increase and report the number of index
+        * scans.

What about "Reset and report zero as the number of indexes scanned."? (just to make clear we
don't want to report the value as it was prior to the reset)

-               /* Disable index vacuuming, index cleanup, and heap rel truncation */
+               /*
+                * Disable index vacuuming, index cleanup, and heap rel truncation
+                *

The new "Disable index vacuuming, index cleanup, and heap rel truncation" needs a dot at the end.

+                * Also, report to progress.h that we are no longer tracking
+                * index vacuum/cleanup.
+                */

"Also, report that we are" instead?

+                       /*
+                        * Done cleaning an index. Increment the indexes completed
+                        */

Needs a dot at the end.

-       /* Reset the parallel index processing counter */
+       /* Reset the parallel index processing counter ( index progress counter also ) */

"Reset the parallel index processing and progress counters" instead?

+       /* Update the number of indexes completed. */
+       pg_atomic_add_fetch_u32(&(pvs->shared->nindexes_completed), 1);

Remove the dot at the end? (to looks like the surrounding code)

+
+/*
+ * Read pvs->shared->nindexes_completed and update progress.h
+ * with indexes vacuumed so far. This function is called periodically

"Read pvs->shared->nindexes_completed and report the number of indexes vacuumed so far" instead?

+ * Note: This function should be used by the leader process only,

"called" instead of "used"?

                 case WAIT_EVENT_XACT_GROUP_UPDATE:
                         event_name = "XactGroupUpdate";
                         break;
+               case WAIT_EVENT_PARALLEL_VACUUM_FINISH:
+                       event_name = "ParallelVacuumFinish";
+                       break;
                         /* no default case, so that compiler will warn */

It seems to me that the case ordering should follow the alphabetical order (that's how it is done currently without the
patch).

+#define REPORT_PARALLEL_VACUUM_EVERY_PAGES ((BlockNumber) (((uint64) 1024 * 1024 * 1024) / BLCKSZ))

It seems to me that "#define REPORT_PARALLEL_VACUUM_EVERY_PAGES ((BlockNumber) (1024 * 1024 * 1024 / BLCKSZ))" would be
finetoo.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot