От Euler Taveira
Тема Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 29, 2024, at 10:17 AM, Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu) wrote:
Attach the V72-0001 which addressed above comments, other patches will be
rebased and posted after pushing first patch. Thanks Shveta for helping address
the comments.

While working on another patch I noticed a new NOTICE message:

NOTICE:  changed the failover state of replication slot "foo" on publisher to false

I wasn't paying much attention to this thread then I start reading the 2
patches that was recently committed. The message above surprises me because
pg_createsubscriber starts to emit this message. The reason is that it doesn't
create the replication slot during the CREATE SUBSCRIPTION. Instead, it creates
the replication slot with failover = false and no such option is informed
during CREATE SUBSCRIPTION which means it uses the default value (failover =
false). I expect that I don't see any message because it is *not* changing the
behavior. I was wrong. It doesn't check the failover state on publisher, it
just executes walrcv_alter_slot() and emits a message.

IMO if we are changing an outstanding property on node A from node B, node B
already knows (or might know) about that behavior change (because it is sending
the command), however, node A doesn't (unless log_replication_commands = on --
it is not the default).

Do we really need this message as NOTICE? I would set it to DEBUG1 if it is
worth or even remove it (if we consider there are other ways to obtain the same
information).

--
Euler Taveira