Re: Add "host" to startup packet

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Add "host" to startup packet
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Lev Kokotov <lev@hyperparam.ai> writes:
> Patch attached below. TLDR, I'd like to add "host" to the startup packet.

I don't think this is of any use at all in isolation.  What is the server
going to do with it?  What's your plan for persuading clients other than
libpq to supply it?  How are poolers supposed to handle it?  What will
you do about old clients that don't supply it?  And most importantly,
how can a client know while connecting whether it's safe to include this,
realizing that existing servers will error out (they'll think it's a
GUC setting for "host")?

Even if all that infrastructure sprang into existence, is this really any
more useful than basing your switching on the host's resolved IP address?
I'm doubtful that there's enough win there to justify pushing this rock
to the top of the mountain.