Re: Removing unneeded self joins

От Alena Rybakina
Тема Re: Removing unneeded self joins
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Hi!

I have reviewed your patch and I noticed a few things.

First of all, I think I found a bug in your latest patch version, and this query shows it:EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF)
SELECT c.oid, e.oid FROM pg_class c FULL JOIN (
  SELECT e1.oid FROM pg_extension e1, pg_extension e2
  WHERE e1.oid=e2.oid) AS e
  ON c.oid=e.oid;

In the current version we get such a query plan:               QUERY PLAN
 Hash Full Join
   Hash Cond: (c.oid = e2.oid)
   ->  Seq Scan on pg_class c
   ->  Hash
         ->  Seq Scan on pg_extension e2
(5 rows)

But I think it should be:

               QUERY PLAN
 Hash Full Join
   Hash Cond: (c.oid = e2.oid)
   ->  Seq Scan on pg_class c
   ->  Hash
         ->  Seq Scan on pg_extension e2
               Filter: (oid IS NOT NULL)
(6 rows)

I have looked at the latest version of the code, I assume that the error lies in the replace_varno_walker function, especially in the place where we check the node by type Var, and does not form any NullTest node.if (OidIsValid(reloid) && get_attnotnull(reloid, attnum)) -- this condition works
        {
          rinfo->clause = (Expr *) makeBoolConst(true, false);
        }
        else
        {
          NullTest   *ntest = makeNode(NullTest);

          ntest->arg = leftOp;
          ntest->nulltesttype = IS_NOT_NULL;
          ntest->argisrow = false;
          ntest->location = -1;
          rinfo->clause = (Expr *) ntest;
        }

Secondly, I added some code in some places to catch erroneous cases and added a condition when we should not try to apply the self-join-removal transformation due to the absence of an empty self-join list after searching for it and in general if there are no joins in the query. Besides, I added a query for testing and wrote about it above. I have attached my diff file.

In addition, I found a comment for myself that was not clear to me. I would be glad if you could explain it to me.

You mentioned superior outer join in the comment, unfortunately, I didn't find anything about it in the PostgreSQL code, and this explanation remained unclear to me. Could you explain in more detail what you meant?
/*
 * At this stage joininfo lists of inner and outer can contain
 * only clauses, required for a superior outer join that can't
 * influence on this optimization. So, we can avoid to call the
 * build_joinrel_restrictlist() routine.

*/
 restrictlist = generate_join_implied_equalities(root, joinrelids,
                              inner->relids,
                              outer, NULL);

--

Regards,