Re: Databases vs Schemas

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Databases vs Schemas
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Scott Carey <scott@richrelevance.com> writes:
> I've got 200,000 tables in one db (8.4), and some tools barely work.  The
> system catalogs get inefficient when large and psql especially has trouble.
> Tab completion takes forever, even if I make a schema "s" with one table in
> it and type "s." and try and tab complete -- its as if its scanning all
> without a schema qualifier or using an index.

The tab-completion queries have never been vetted for performance
particularly :-(

Just out of curiosity, how much does this help?

alter function pg_table_is_visible(oid) cost 10;

(You'll need to do it as superuser --- if it makes things worse, just
set the cost back to 1.)

> Sometimes it does not match
> valid tables at all, and sometimes regex matching fails too ('\dt
> schema.*_*_*' intermittently flakes out if it returns a lot of matches).

There are some arbitrary "LIMIT 1000" clauses in those queries, which
probably explains this ... but taking them out would likely cause
libreadline to get indigestion ...